Feedback from teachers and GCSE exam analysis indicates there are key areas of the curriculum that students continue to find challenging. This Work Group will explore effective ways of teaching some of these topics, both to address the immediate needs of the incoming KS4 students, but also, crucially, taking a longer-term view by considering development in KS3. The aim will be to get to grips with all the underpinning content of a topic, exploring misconceptions and effective pedagogical approaches for each element. The approaches also contribute towards the development of a generic process which departments could use as a ‘toolkit’ to lead the improvement of teaching and learning in any identified area of the curriculum students find challenging.
Who is this for?
Secondary school maths teachers and heads of department. Participants in the 2018/19 Work Group are welcome to participate again.
What is involved?
Each Work Group will explore a single GCSE topic in depth. Participation will require attendance at four workshops spread across the year and include gap tasks. Any work produced will be shared across the hubs, giving access to a range of challenging topics.
This programme will run over four half day sessions at Churchill Community College:
- Monday 2nd December 12.30pm – 4pm
- Tuesday 3rd March 12.30pm – 4pm
- Wednesday 22nd April 12.30pm – 4pm
- Thursday 18th June 12.30pm – 4pm
- Teachers will hone their ability to analyse what it is about certain topics that makes them more challenging, and be able to apply these analytical skills more widely in the curriculum.
- They will deepen their understanding and classroom practice in relation to teaching and learning styles most appropriate to effective learning in the particular topic area.
- Departments will have a model for improving the teaching and learning and curriculum provision for any area of the curriculum their students find challenging.
- Students in the participant teachers’ classes will become more confident in their own skills and abilities, developing a deeper and more connected understanding of prior content, thus enabling them to better tackle the challenging topics.
Expectations of participants and their schools
- Attend the Work Group sessions and carry out a series of follow-up tasks within their own classrooms related to teaching the challenging topic being explored.
- Work with other members of their maths department, as appropriate, to develop the teaching of the challenging topic.
- Contribute to Work Group evaluation processes.
To Book: Please follow this link to eventbrite
This Work Group is free of charge. However, Great North Maths Hub will charge £40 for non-attendance or cancellation less than 7 days prior to each session.